Public speaking is #1 fear for most people, according to Daniel J. DeNoon, WebMD Health News. Therefor, you should encourage your child to develop public speaking skills early on by attend the upcoming NSDA Taiwan District Tournament. All students, regardless of winning, will receive a certificate with the NSDA Logo and NSDA points, if they have paid NSDA points fee.
Types of Speeches
1. STORY TELLING: Read your favorite children’s story. Cut the best/most exciting part of the story, 3 – 5 minutes in length, then practice reading it at home.
2. ORIGINAL ORATORY: Write your own speech, 3 – 5 minutes in length, then practice reading it at home.The topic is open, whatever you want.
3. IMPROMPTU: Students will be given topics on the spot and will be given 5 minutes to prepare the speech. This will often be the “least competitive and thus the easiest to win” type because most students are fearful of this challenge.
2. 原演講: 寫自己的演講，3-5分鐘的長度，並在家裡練習。主題是開放的，你可以選擇任何話題。
3. 即興: 學生當場將獲得主題，將有5分鐘時間準備演講。這往往會是”競爭力最小, 所以比較容易獲得冠軍”的類型，因為大多數學生都很害怕這種挑戰。
Sample Speech Scripts
*Do not have to memorize, but it is encouraged to memorize most or all of it.
*One time 30 minute one-on-one training with an ADL teacher is very important, and it is strongly advised. The fee is NT$1000, and parents must bring a recording devise to record the entire session, so your child can practice at home as instructed. So, please call ADL staff to arrange a time with the teacher.
Speech training availability:
- Sep. 11th- Oct. 11th
- Monday: 2pm-3pm; 6pm-7:30pm.
- Wednesday: 2pm-4:30pm; 7:30pm.
- Friday: 2pm-3pm; 5:30pm-7:30pm.
- Saturday: 9:00am; 9:30am; 4:30pm-7:00pm
Please call ADL 02-2876-1866 to make an appointment.
Double-Entries must be selected from different time slots (A + B) to avoid time conflicts. For example, if you are doing A) story telling, then your second event can be B) impromptu.
Time Block A: Original Oratory or Story Telling
Time Block B: Impromptu
Videos of past ADL speech contests
Minimum of 3 Rounds
DON’T GO HOME after your child has delivered the first speech, as there are a minimum of three rounds. This means your child will deliver the same speech to three different judges in one day, after which the points are computed and the winners advancing to elimination rounds are announced. So, don’t leave the tournament, until your child has done the same speech at least three times, and you have notified the office that you are leaving early.
This is the ballot which judges use to evaluate your child each round.