The Founder and CEO of Asian Debate League
Debate & Writing Instructor
More about Jessie
- The U.S. English Teacher Competency (PRAXIS) Exam, Rank #1
- State California Teaching Credential in High School English
- AP English Credential from University of California San Diego
- M.A. Courses in Education, California State University, Rank #1
- B.A. in English Literature, California State University, Rank #2
- A.A. in Liberal Arts, Los Angeles College
- A.A. in Business Administration, Toledo College
Jessie Chen 은 Taipei Debate Academy 와 Asian Debate League 의 설립자이자 CEO 로서 미국 소재 고등학교 전직 영어 교사로 재직했으며 Santee High School 에서 디베이트 팀을 성공적으로 코치해 2008년 Global, UN Debate in 2008 에 참여하여 4위를, 2009년에는 2위를 기록 했읍니다. 이를 배경으로 로스앤젤레스의 시장 L.A. Mayor Villaraigosa는 2008년 개인적으로 방문하여 팀의 학생들에게 수상을 하였으며 캘리포니아의 하원의원 Bessara 역시 2009년 방문하여 수상하였읍니다. Jessie 와 Santee 학생들은 L.A. Times 와 TV Channel 35 Los Angeles 에서 인터뷰를 했으며 2008년 UCLA 에서 열리는 Victory Brief Summer Camp.에서 장학금을 받았읍니다. 또한 Jessie 가 대만에 온 첯해부터 Taipei Debate Academy 의 두명의 학생들이 National Junior Forensics League에서 수상을 하였읍니다. Jessie Chen 은 is Cum Laude in English Literature B.A. 와 Summa Cum Laude in in Teaching English M.A. 의 저자이며 California State University Los Angeles and Pasadena City College 에서지도교사로 역임했읍니다. 새로운 개념을 지닌 혁신적인 교사인 Jessie 는 미국 역사상 전국 최고의 영어선생의 자격을 획득했읍니다. PRAXIS Teacher competence 시험에서 가장 높은 성적을 지닌 교사로 기록되있읍니다. Jessie는 여전히 그녀의 캘리포니아 영어 교육 자격을 보유하고 있습니다.
More about Dylan
- Pursuing B.A. in Political Science with a minor in Communication Studies at the University of Missouri, Kansas City
Dylan Willett is a current debater from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He has achieved competitive success in college debate qualifying to the National Debate tournament, making it to elimination rounds of multiple tournaments, and has been ranked in the top 20 among all college debaters. Dylan has debated in other styles of debate besides policy achieving multiple tournament wins and being ranked in the top 10 of all parliamentary debaters. These skills help him adapt to different forums of debate as well as teach innovative combined skills that debaters gain success. He also has spent a substantial time coaching high school and middle school debate by coaching at some of the most prestigious high schools in the country achieving success in all divisions, from coaching multiple middle school national championships, JV tournament wins, and achieving TOC bids. Dylan has also spent time teaching at the Debate-Kansas City, Jayhawk Debate Institute, and the UMKC Summer Debate Institute summer camps.
Asian Debate League is the Exclusive Agent in Taiwan of the following coaches.
Please contact ADL if you are interested in taking their classes.
Debate, Writing, Math Instructor
More about Brandon
- M.S. in International Marketing from Saint Joseph’s University
- B.A. in Economics; Philosophy minor from Saint Joseph’s University
- Graduated with highest honors, Summa Cum Laude (3.94 GPA) and Phi Beta Kappa membership
Brandon worked as a writing center tutor at Saint Joseph’s University Writing Center for 2.5 years. From this experience and from philosophy studies, he is confident in assessing and teaching academic writing for different disciplines, criteria, and purposes. He also has 12 years of experience as a tutor of philosophy, TOEFL, Spanish, English, and mathematics for his university and privately. Most recently, Brandon taught debate in South Korea; to younger students, he taught current event; to older students, he taught MUN and Parliamentary Debate. As a TEFL-certified English teacher, he has also been a teacher for the School District of Philadelphia. While completing his Master’s in International Marketing, Brandon worked as the Teaching Assistant for the President of Saint Joseph’s University and volunteered as a marketer and researcher in the non-profit health sector in the United States and Spain. He enjoys spending time outdoors, writing music, reading, and the arts. As an educator, Brandon’s goals are threefold: to nurture academic growth in his students; to inspire students to reach their full potential; and to create a positive, supportive, and fun environment in which all are welcome to share their ideas.
Debate & Writing Instructor
More about Tyler
- B.A. in Economics, International Affairs, and Asia Studies at Western Kentucky University
- M.A. in Asia Studies at National Chengchi University
- Pursuing Ph. D. in Universal Basic Income at National Chengchi University
Tyler has been involved with speech and debate for over a decade. Tyler’s love for debate is reflected in his passion for his current academic and career choices. Over the years, Tyler has volunteered for both his high school and college debate teams, providing research, judging, and helping coach a state champion team. He began his career as a high school policy debater in Kansas, where he focused on delving deep into both traditional policy and critical arguments. As a high school debater, he took top three in the state championship three consecutive times, and was part of the first two-person team from his school to break at the national NSDA tournament in modern history. At a prestigious invitational tournament in Kansas his senior year, Tyler was recruited by Western Kentucky University (WKU) to participate in the nation’s top Lincoln Douglas policy debate team. In college, he was part of the national championship team three times, and as a freshman was a novice national NFA LD co-champion, and was a PKD national LD co-champion as a junior. In speech, Tyler is well versed in extemp and impromptu. Throughout college, Tyler was also actively involved in journalism, being recognized by Columbia University and receiving multiple state championships for his work. With his debate skills, Tyler has applied this passion to researching the basic income concept, becoming the features editor for Basic Income Earth Network, and helping to co-found UBI Taiwan. In his role at UBI Taiwan, Tyler established and directed the first ever Basic Income Asia Pacific international conference, working with scholars from around the globe. He has recently become a research assistant for the U.S. State Department, providing reports on Artificial Intelligence’s status and trends in international affairs and law. Currently, Tyler is completing a Fulbright scholarship at National Chengchi University, where he is receiving a Master’s in Asia Studies, completing his dissertation on the basic income movement in Taiwan. Previously, Tyler has studied Mandarin Chinese in China, participating in several intensive language programs with the U.S. government. He used this knowledge to help teach Chinese to several middle and high school classrooms across Kentucky as a junior in college.
Debate, Writing, Science, Math Instructor
More about Joel
- B.S. in Biopsychology and Pre-med from Grand Valley State University in Michigan
- Grand Valley State University in Michigan Department of Psychology, Dr. Josita Maouene Lab, Researched & Published Language Development from 2010-12
- University of Arkansas Department of Chemical Engineering, Dr. Jamie Hestekin Lab, Researched & Published Biofuel Technology 2012
Joel’s passion for research and debate began in a suburban Michigan high school. There, he was introduced to Policy Debate and MUN. Debate allowed him to relentlessly raise questions about improving the world by better policies and MUN taught him skills of mitigating world tensions by geopolitical negotiations. A strong regimen of AP classes in high school led Joel to a university program focused largely on biology, psychology, and chemistry. He immediately went to work applying science knowledge in the Dr. Maouene Lab for five semesters (see lab brochures from Fall 2010 and Spring 2012), studying and publishing how children naturally acquire language. He also joined Dr. Hestekin lab at the University of Arkansas developing and publishing the university’s first viable system for delivering carbon dioxide to algae used in biofuels. He finished his final year of university with a research and publication in investigating emotional language used in relationships. In his final years of university, Joel dived into teaching these same research skills at his university library in the first year of an innovative peer-research program. After over 60 consultations, Joel was rated as “very comfortable” in his field and rated “confidence boosting” in 100% of his appointments. After graduation, Joel went to mainland China to continue teaching both English speaking and writing. Joel is classically trained in violin, an avid tea drinker, a voracious sushi eater, and a lover of trees. As a teacher, he brings to his class his unique world view, experience, and energy. Joel believes that nurturing self-motivation and self-confidence in students while emphasizing real-world practice is the key to learning and mastering any academic skills.
ADL-Contracted Onsite Coaches
Asian Debate League is the Exclusive Contact and Agent in Taiwan of the following coaches.
Please contact ADL if you are interested in online courses with the Collegiate Debate Coaches from the US.
Assistant Director of Debate at Michigan University
More about Kurt
- Pursuing PhD in Public Policy at Wayne State University
Kurt Fifelski is the Assistant Director of Debate at the University of Michigan and has been in Ann Arbor since 2014. In that time he has coached teams to tournament victory at Harvard, Wake Forest, Kentucky, the Dartmouth Round Robin, Miami, and Indiana. Kurt focuses on coordinating debaters and coaches, directs argumentation at tournaments, and on making sure Michigan continues to be the most innovative team in terms of research in the country. He has won multiple awards for his skills as debate coach and as a judge. Kurt is currently working a PhD in public policy at Wayne State University.
More about Maria
- Pursuing B.A. in Political Science, International Studies, and Environmental Studies at the University of Kentucky
Maria Sanchez is a fourth-year debater at the University of Kentucky, completing degrees in Political Science, International Studies, and Environmental Studies. She has an extensive debate background, having debated at Northside College Prep in Chicago for four years and continuing her debate career in college at UK. During her senior year of high school, Maria was named the 2016 Urban Debater of the Year by the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues and reached quarterfinals of the Urban Debate National Championship. In past summers, Maria has been a staff member at the Northwestern Debate Institute and the Georgetown University Debate Seminar.
More about Lily
- Pursuing B.S. in Mathematics at the University of Kansas
Lily is a third-year policy debater at the University of Kansas and has been involved with speech and debate for 7 years. In high school, she qualified to nationals all four years, placing 11th at NSDA nationals and 5th at CFL nationals in 2017, and won state championships in policy debate (2017) and Lincoln-Douglas debate (2016). In college, Lily was 1st place at the 2018 National Junior Division Debate tournament and the 2019 The University of Texas Tournament. Lily has spent the last three years coaching high school students at a variety of developing debate programs, and she spends her summers teaching at the Jayhawk Debate Institute. When she isn’t debating or coaching, Lily enjoys tutoring mathematics and painting landscapes.
More about Jackson
- Pursuing a B.A. in Political Sciences at the University of Kansas
Jackson debated at Wichita State University for one year and is in his second year debating at the University of Kansas. He has competed in the elimination rounds of several college tournaments since beginning his college debate career, including winning the first half of the 2019 University of Texas – Dallas swing tournament. Before debating in college, Jackson participated in both policy debate and public forum debate in high school. His senior year of high school, he and his partner Gabe qualified for the Tournament of Champions, placed second at the Catholic Forensics League Grand National Tournament, and finished 7th at the National Speech and Debate Association championship – all in policy debate. When not debating, he enjoys keeping up with global politics, discovering new music, and planning his sitcom TV show that he intends on writing one day.
More about Gabe
- Pursuing a B.A. in Economics at the University of Kansas
Gabe is a 3rd year policy debater at the University of Kansas. He has coached high school debate since 2017 and was a lab leader at the Jayhawk Debate Institute in summer of 2019. He specializes in producing unique, creative arguments and thinks debate is about persuasively presenting the best scholarship while having fun. His students have qualified for the NSDA and TOC national tournaments, won elimination debates at the CFL national tournament and frequently compete at the national-circuit level of high school policy debate. In 2019, Gabe debated in the quarterfinals of the American Debate Association and double-octofinals of the Cross-Examination Debate Association National Tournaments. His favorite debates involve impact turns, topicality, economics, and cooking recipes.
More about Jimin
- Pursuing a BA in Global/International Studies, designated pre-law, with a minor in National Security at the University of Kansas
Jimin currently debating at the University of Kansas. My partner (Jet Semrick) and I have made it to elimination rounds of multiple tournaments. I attended Washburn Rural High School, where we closed out NSDA (2019), won state (2018 and 2019), and qualified to the TOC (2019). My favorite parts of debate include meeting people in the community, strategizing, and 1AR shenanigans. Outside of debate, I enjoy eating food, listening to music, and hanging out with friends.
More about Jet
- B.S. in Computer Science and Finance at the University of Kansas
Jet Semrick is a debater for the University of Kansas and has been involved in speech and debate for 5 years. On the college circuit, he has competed in elimination debates of multiple tournaments. In high school, he competed on the national circuit and won NCFL nationals in 2019. Jet is passionate about research and enjoys the competitive aspect of policy debate.
ADL-Contracted Online Instructors
Asian Debate League is the Exclusive Contact and Agent in Taiwan of the following coaches.
Please contact ADL if you are interested in online courses with the Top-Tier Debate Directors from the US.
NSDA Asia & TOC Intl. Consultant
Former Harvard Debate Coach
More about Stefan
- Stefan Bauschard has been a policy debate coach for the Harvard University Debate Council for over a decade, and currently the Debate Coach for Lakeland School District, Stefan has been actively teaching speaking and debating in the United States at both the high school and college levels since 1994. During that time, he has taught hundreds of students, developed and tabulated more than seventy-five tournaments, spent thousands of hours developing research and instructional materials for debaters all over the country, and has developed academic speech and debate workshops in the United States and abroad.
Stefan is available for Public Forum coaching.
Stanford University Debate Director
More about Brian
- Brian Manuel is the Director of Policy Debate at Stanford University and the Director of Debate at Edgemont High School. Prior to Stanford, Brian coached for Harvard University, where his teams were greatly successful achieving multiple First Round At-Large bids to the National Debate Tournament and participating in elimination rounds at every tournament they attended. At Stanford, Brian has coached teams to the elimination rounds of the National Debate Tournament, Cross-Examination Debate Association National Championship along with the University of Missouri-Kansas City, University of Nevada Las Vegas, Arizona State, Gonzaga, and San Francisco State University. On the high school circuit, Brian has coached the champions of the 2003 Bronx Science, 2008 Barkley Forum, 2011 Meadows & USC tournaments, and the 2012 Golden Desert Invitational. In addition, Brian has had multiple teams in the elimination rounds of the Tournament of Champions, NDCA, NCFL, and NSDA Nationals with finals finishes in 2007 and 2012, in addition to coaching the top speaker at NSDA Nationals in 2013. In 2015, Brian began coaching debate at Edgemont high school. In his first year, Brian coached one Policy team to the TOC, with the team earning 6 TOC bids and reaching the quarterfinals at Harvard. One of the debaters was accepted to Harvard and the other to Stanford. In only his second year at Edgement (2016-17), he has grown the team to more than 50 debaters.
Brian will be tutoring in Policy, PD, and Lincoln-Douglas.
Dr. Mikaeala Malsin
Georgetown University Debate Director
More about Mikaeala
- Dr. Mikaeala Malsin is currently the Director of Debate at Georgetown University. Previously, she was an Associate Director of Debate at Emory University, her alma mater. At Emory Mikaela has coached multiple first round at large bids to the National Debate Tournament, and one team who placed third in the Copeland award rankings. In 2012, she received an M.A. in Communications from Wake Forest University, where she coached teams receiving first round bids and clearing at the National Debate Tournament. She completed her Ph.D. in Communication Studies at the University of Georgia, where she coached from 2012 to 2015. Mikaela has taught debate at the Emory National Debate Institute, the Dartmouth Debate Institute, the Georgia Debate Institute, and the Dallas Urban Debate Alliance summer institute.
Mikaela will be tutoring in Policy Debate and Public Forum.
Montgomery Bell Debate Director
More about Kevin
- Kevin Hamrickis the Director of Debate at Montgomery Bell Academy. This year his teams have dominated the national policy circuit, winning St. Mark’s, New Trier, and the Glenbrooks. His teams have also advanced to the elimination rounds at every other major tournament. Prior to coaching at Montgomery Bell, Kevin coached at Northwestern, where he assisted with coaching multiple national champions.
Kevin be tutoring in Policy Debate.
Please Offer Your Feedback For Teachers.