The Founder and CEO of Asian Debate League
Debate & Writing Instructor
More about Jessie
- The U.S. English Teacher Competency (PRAXIS) Exam, Rank #1
- State California Teaching Credential in High School English
- AP English Credential from University of California San Diego
- M.A. Courses in Education, California State University, Rank #1
- B.A. in English Literature, California State University, Rank #2
- A.A. in Liberal Arts, Los Angeles College
- A.A. in Business Administration, Toledo College
Jessie Chen 은 Taipei Debate Academy 와 Asian Debate League 의 설립자이자 CEO 로서 미국 소재 고등학교 전직 영어 교사로 재직했으며 Santee High School 에서 디베이트 팀을 성공적으로 코치해 2008년 Global, UN Debate in 2008 에 참여하여 4위를, 2009년에는 2위를 기록 했읍니다. 이를 배경으로 로스앤젤레스의 시장 L.A. Mayor Villaraigosa는 2008년 개인적으로 방문하여 팀의 학생들에게 수상을 하였으며 캘리포니아의 하원의원 Bessara 역시 2009년 방문하여 수상하였읍니다. Jessie 와 Santee 학생들은 L.A. Times 와 TV Channel 35 Los Angeles 에서 인터뷰를 했으며 2008년 UCLA 에서 열리는 Victory Brief Summer Camp.에서 장학금을 받았읍니다. 또한 Jessie 가 대만에 온 첯해부터 Taipei Debate Academy 의 두명의 학생들이 National Junior Forensics League에서 수상을 하였읍니다. Jessie Chen 은 is Cum Laude in English Literature B.A. 와 Summa Cum Laude in in Teaching English M.A. 의 저자이며 California State University Los Angeles and Pasadena City College 에서지도교사로 역임했읍니다. 새로운 개념을 지닌 혁신적인 교사인 Jessie 는 미국 역사상 전국 최고의 영어선생의 자격을 획득했읍니다. PRAXIS Teacher competence 시험에서 가장 높은 성적을 지닌 교사로 기록되있읍니다. Jessie는 여전히 그녀의 캘리포니아 영어 교육 자격을 보유하고 있습니다.
More about Gabe
- B.A. in Economics at the University of Kansas
Gabe debated at the University of Kansas for 3.5 years, both in person and virtually. He has coached high school debate and been a lab instructor at the Jayhawk Debate Institute since 2017 including the online Jayhawk Debate institute in 2020. Gabe specializes in coaching speaking technique, researching impact turns, answering kritiks, and going for conditionality. He believes coaching debate involves significant dialogue with his students and lots of practice. His previous students have qualified for the TOC and NSDA tournaments and frequently made it to elimination rounds of their tournaments. In college, Gabe won multiple regional tournaments and made it to elimination rounds in several national tournaments including the ADA and CEDA tournaments. In high school, he won the “Sunflower District Student of the Year Award”, qualified to the TOC, won the 2016 state championship, and placed 7th at the NSDA tournament championship. Gabe’s favorite debates involve economics, sci-fi technology, and excellent evidence.
More about Lily
- B.A. in Mathematics from the University of Kansas
Lily debated for 4 years at the University of Kansas, where she won four Texas swing tournaments as well as the NJDDT. Additionally, she reached the elimination rounds of several national tournaments during that time, including both the ADA and CEDA nationals. She has nine years of speech and debate experience total, and spends her summers teaching at the Jayhawk Debate Institute. For the last four years, she has coached high school policy debate at several developing debate programs, including coaching five teams to TOC qualification. Lily has had success in a diversity of debate events, qualifying to national tournaments in 3 different debate types in high school (policy: NSDA 2016, 2017, CFL 2017; Lincoln-Douglas: CFL 2015; Public-Forum: CFL 2016), and holding state championships in both policy and Lincoln-Douglas debate. Her teaching philosophy emphasizes the importance of original research,proficiency with technical vocabulary, and persuasion skills. She holds a minor in Russian, and in her free time she enjoys reading Russian literature.
Debate & Writing Instructor
More about Connor
- B.A. in History from Boise State University
Connor was a policy debater for the Boise High School varsity team, the top high school for debate in Idaho. He attended many local and regional tournaments and consistently received high rankings at both. As an experienced debater, Connor has helped train novice debaters for Policy tournaments. Connor was a recipient of the Fulbright English Teaching Fellowship, a competitive grant offered by the US government to teach in Taiwan. He has served as an English teacher in Yilan and Chiayi, working with elementary and junior high students. In Taiwan, Connor has led students at multiple schools to success in county-wide English-speaking competitions. He also has significant experience preparing students for English proficiency exams. Connor graduated Magna Cum Laude from Boise State University with a bachelor’s degree in History. In his senior thesis, Connor wrote extensively on a plethora of topics including US foreign policy towards Taiwan. His background in history makes him an excellent academic writing instructor as well. Aside from writing scholarly articles, he has also written creatively for a play in college. In addition, Connor has earned his Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certification and is qualified to teach English to second-language speakers across the world.
More about Anthony
- B.A. in Political Science and Modern & Classical Languages, Summa Cum Laude, University of Kentucky
Anthony was a debate coach and former debater at the University of Kentucky. Anthony achieved many competitive accolades both in college and in high school, winning five national tournaments, the Rex Copeland award for best regular season performance, the second speaker award at the National Debate Tournament, and the Larmon Cup for winning the National Debate Tournament, all in his last year of debate. In high school, Anthony qualified twice to the Tournament of Champions, reaching the quarterfinals his senior year, and won the National Speech and Debate Association national championship in policy debate his junior year. Anthony coached his teams to the elimination debates of the Tournament of Champions every time his teams attended, and has taught at the Dartmouth, Northwestern, and Georgetown debate institutes.
Asian Debate League is the Exclusive Agent in Taiwan of the following coaches.
Please contact ADL if you are interested in taking their classes.
More about Dylan
- B.A. in Political Science with a minor in Communication Studies at the University of Missouri, Kansas City
Dylan Willett was a debater from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. He achieved competitive success in college debate qualifying to the National Debate tournament, made it to elimination rounds of multiple tournaments, and was ranked in the top 20 among all college debaters. Dylan debated in other styles of debate besides policy achieving multiple tournament wins and was ranked in the top 10 of all parliamentary debaters. These skills help him adapt to different forums of debate as well as teach innovative combined skills that debaters gain success. He also spent a substantial time coaching high school and middle school debate by coaching at some of the most prestigious high schools in the country achieving success in all divisions, from coaching multiple middle school national championships, JV tournament wins, and achieving TOC bids. Dylan also spent time teaching at the Debate-Kansas City, Jayhawk Debate Institute, and the UMKC Summer Debate Institute summer camps.
Debate, Writing, Math Instructor
More about Brandon
- M.S. in International Marketing from Saint Joseph’s University
- B.A. in Economics; Philosophy minor from Saint Joseph’s University
- Graduated with highest honors, Summa Cum Laude (3.94 GPA) and Phi Beta Kappa membership
Brandon worked as a writing center tutor at Saint Joseph’s University Writing Center for 2.5 years. From this experience and from philosophy studies, he is confident in assessing and teaching academic writing for different disciplines, criteria, and purposes. He also has 12 years of experience as a tutor of philosophy, TOEFL, Spanish, English, and mathematics for his university and privately. Most recently, Brandon taught debate in South Korea; to younger students, he taught current event; to older students, he taught MUN and Parliamentary Debate. As a TEFL-certified English teacher, he has also been a teacher for the School District of Philadelphia. While completing his Master’s in International Marketing, Brandon worked as the Teaching Assistant for the President of Saint Joseph’s University and volunteered as a marketer and researcher in the non-profit health sector in the United States and Spain. He enjoys spending time outdoors, writing music, reading, and the arts. As an educator, Brandon’s goals are threefold: to nurture academic growth in his students; to inspire students to reach their full potential; and to create a positive, supportive, and fun environment in which all are welcome to share their ideas.
ADL-Contracted Onsite Coaches
Asian Debate League is the Exclusive Contact and Agent in Taiwan of the following coaches.
Please contact ADL if you are interested in online courses with the Collegiate Debate Coaches from the US.
More about Jimin
- Pursuing a B.A. in East Asian Language and Cultures, Global and International Studies, and Political Science
Jimin is debating for a second-year at the University of Kansas and was a lab leader at the Jayhawk Debate Institute in the summer of 2020. In high school, Jimin won the National Speech and Debate Tournament, qualified for the Tournament of Champions, was a two-time state champion in policy debate and awarded 2nd place in extemporaneous speaking at state. In his first year of college debate, he was in finals of the UMKC tournament, won the Emporia tournament, was in semifinals of the Wayne State tournament, octofinals of the Kentucky tournament, and double octofinals at the ADA national tournament. Outside of debate, Jimin enjoys spending time with friends and traveling to South Korea to visit family.
Assistant Director of Debate at Michigan University
More about Kurt
- Pursuing PhD in Public Policy at Wayne State University
Kurt Fifelski is the Assistant Director of Debate at the University of Michigan and has been in Ann Arbor since 2014. In that time he has coached teams to tournament victory at Harvard, Wake Forest, Kentucky, the Dartmouth Round Robin, Miami, and Indiana. Kurt focuses on coordinating debaters and coaches, directs argumentation at tournaments, and on making sure Michigan continues to be the most innovative team in terms of research in the country. He has won multiple awards for his skills as debate coach and as a judge. Kurt is currently working a PhD in public policy at Wayne State University.
More about Jackson
- Pursuing a B.A. in Political Sciences at the University of Kansas
Jackson debated at Wichita State University for one year and is in his second year debating at the University of Kansas. He has competed in the elimination rounds of several college tournaments since beginning his college debate career, including winning the first half of the 2019 University of Texas – Dallas swing tournament. Before debating in college, Jackson participated in both policy debate and public forum debate in high school. His senior year of high school, he and his partner Gabe qualified for the Tournament of Champions, placed second at the Catholic Forensics League Grand National Tournament, and finished 7th at the National Speech and Debate Association championship – all in policy debate. When not debating, he enjoys keeping up with global politics, discovering new music, and planning his sitcom TV show that he intends on writing one day.
More about Jet
- B.S. in Computer Science and Finance at the University of Kansas
Jet Semrick is a debater for the University of Kansas and has been involved in speech and debate for 5 years. On the college circuit, he has competed in elimination debates of multiple tournaments. In high school, he competed on the national circuit and won NCFL nationals in 2019. Jet is passionate about research and enjoys the competitive aspect of policy debate.
More about Jet
- Pursuing a B.A. in Communications at Wake Forest University
Nae debated for Wake Forest University for 3 years. In his time in high school, he was able to aquire 10 total bids to the Tournament of Champions between his junior and senior year. During his time at Wake Forest, Nae has qualified as a first-round at-large bid to the National Debate Tournament every year he has competed (3). Also, at the National Debate Tournament Nae has been in both the octo-finals and the semi-finals of the tournament – all in policy debate. As a coach, Nae has coached multiple high school teams into qualifying and debating in the elimination rounds of the Tournament of Champions. When Nae is not debating he enjoys music, video games, and reading new literature.
More about Nigel
- B.A. in Public Relations and minor in International Business at the Western Kentucky University
Nigel Taylor is former debater for W. Kentucky and has been involved in speech and debate for over a decade. As a debater competed in Policy Debate for 3 years and Lincoln Douglas Debate for 1 year where he managed to receive several bids to the TOC, Top Speaker awards and reached late elimination rounds of every national circuit tournament attended. His success as a high school debater led him to receive numerous full-ride scholarships to college for debate. As a coach Nigel has led students to champion national tournaments all over the US, accruing a total of over 80 bids to date. Nigel is most at home in fast paced and competitive pre-round preparation environments. When not coaching, Nigel enjoys traveling and reading philosophy and psychology based academic literature.
More about Arnav
- Pursuing a B.A. in Data Science Economics and Public Policy at the University of Chicago
Arnav Gupta is a former debater at College Prep, and has been involved with debate for 7 years now. While competing in high school, he was a qualifier to the Tournament of Champions, NSDA, and NDCA, and consistently reached elimination rounds of major National Circuit tournaments. Some of his notable performances include reaching the finals of Jack Howe, quarterfinals of ASU, quarterfinals of Bronx, quarterfinals of Stanford, and quarterfinals of Bingham. He also won the Dartmouth Debate Institute tournament in 2017, while being the top speaker at the entire camp. Since graduating, due to the lack of a policy debate team at UChicago, Arnav continued to stay active in the high school debate community, judging and coaching students at College Prep. While coaching, he prioritized teaching students how to be flexible in their argumentation styles, and helping debaters feel comfortable going for a variety of arguments, whether policy or kritik. Most recently, he helped foster the debate program at Lane Tech, providing original creative research and helping out with judging commitments. At Lane Tech, Arnav mentored a small, under-resourced forensics team, and coached a team (Lane Tech NP) to multiple bid rounds and a qualification to the Tournament of Champions.
More about Maria
- B.A. in Political Science, International Studies, and Environmental Studies at the University of Kentucky
Maria Sanchez was a debater at the University of Kentucky, completed degrees in Political Science, International Studies, and Environmental Studies. She has an extensive debate background, having debated at Northside College Prep in Chicago for four years and continuing her debate career in college at UK. During her senior year of high school, Maria was named the 2016 Urban Debater of the Year by the National Association for Urban Debate Leagues and reached quarterfinals of the Urban Debate National Championship. In past summers, Maria has been a staff member at the Northwestern Debate Institute and the Georgetown University Debate Seminar.
ADL-Contracted Online Instructors
Asian Debate League is the Exclusive Contact and Agent in Taiwan of the following coaches.
Please contact ADL if you are interested in online courses with the Top-Tier Debate Directors from the US.
NSDA Asia & TOC Intl. Consultant
Former Harvard Debate Coach
More about Stefan
- Stefan Bauschard has been a policy debate coach for the Harvard University Debate Council for over a decade, and currently the Debate Coach for Lakeland School District, Stefan has been actively teaching speaking and debating in the United States at both the high school and college levels since 1994. During that time, he has taught hundreds of students, developed and tabulated more than seventy-five tournaments, spent thousands of hours developing research and instructional materials for debaters all over the country, and has developed academic speech and debate workshops in the United States and abroad.
Stefan is available for Public Forum coaching.
Stanford University Debate Director
More about Brian
- Brian Manuel is the Director of Policy Debate at Stanford University and the Director of Debate at Edgemont High School. Prior to Stanford, Brian coached for Harvard University, where his teams were greatly successful achieving multiple First Round At-Large bids to the National Debate Tournament and participating in elimination rounds at every tournament they attended. At Stanford, Brian has coached teams to the elimination rounds of the National Debate Tournament, Cross-Examination Debate Association National Championship along with the University of Missouri-Kansas City, University of Nevada Las Vegas, Arizona State, Gonzaga, and San Francisco State University. On the high school circuit, Brian has coached the champions of the 2003 Bronx Science, 2008 Barkley Forum, 2011 Meadows & USC tournaments, and the 2012 Golden Desert Invitational. In addition, Brian has had multiple teams in the elimination rounds of the Tournament of Champions, NDCA, NCFL, and NSDA Nationals with finals finishes in 2007 and 2012, in addition to coaching the top speaker at NSDA Nationals in 2013. In 2015, Brian began coaching debate at Edgemont high school. In his first year, Brian coached one Policy team to the TOC, with the team earning 6 TOC bids and reaching the quarterfinals at Harvard. One of the debaters was accepted to Harvard and the other to Stanford. In only his second year at Edgement (2016-17), he has grown the team to more than 50 debaters.
Brian will be tutoring in Policy, PD, and Lincoln-Douglas.
Dr. Mikaeala Malsin
Georgetown University Debate Director
More about Mikaeala
- Dr. Mikaeala Malsin is currently the Director of Debate at Georgetown University. Previously, she was an Associate Director of Debate at Emory University, her alma mater. At Emory Mikaela has coached multiple first round at large bids to the National Debate Tournament, and one team who placed third in the Copeland award rankings. In 2012, she received an M.A. in Communications from Wake Forest University, where she coached teams receiving first round bids and clearing at the National Debate Tournament. She completed her Ph.D. in Communication Studies at the University of Georgia, where she coached from 2012 to 2015. Mikaela has taught debate at the Emory National Debate Institute, the Dartmouth Debate Institute, the Georgia Debate Institute, and the Dallas Urban Debate Alliance summer institute.
Mikaela will be tutoring in Policy Debate and Public Forum.
Montgomery Bell Debate Director
More about Kevin
- Kevin Hamrickis the Director of Debate at Montgomery Bell Academy. This year his teams have dominated the national policy circuit, winning St. Mark’s, New Trier, and the Glenbrooks. His teams have also advanced to the elimination rounds at every other major tournament. Prior to coaching at Montgomery Bell, Kevin coached at Northwestern, where he assisted with coaching multiple national champions.
Kevin be tutoring in Policy Debate.
Please Offer Your Feedback For Teachers.